Pasta Frolla (shortcrust pastry) ingredients
- 4 cups (1-lb) flour 00
- 1 whole egg and 4 egg yolks
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 1-1/4 cups (8.8 oz) sugar
- 8.8 oz chilled unsalted butter
- grated rind of 1 lemon (better if organic)
Coffee pastry cream ingredients
- 1 pint (2 cups – 17 fl oz) fresh whole milk
- the yolks of 3 very fresh eggs
- 1/2 cup (3.5 oz) sugar
- 1/3 cup (1.75 oz) flour 00
- 1 oz (30 g) corn starch
- 2 pieces lemon rind (about 1-inch wide – 3-inches long) or (1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/3 cup (2.7 fl oz – 80ml) strong espresso or strong brewed black coffee
- 6 savoiardi cookies (ladyfingers)
- 2/3 cup (4 fl oz – 120ml) strong espresso or strong brewed coffee (sweetened with 2 tsp of sugar)
- 2 tbsp Rum (optional)
- whole coffee beans
Prepare the shortcrust pastry (click to view recipe), wrap it in plastic food wrap and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Prepare the pastry cream (click to view recipe) and let it cool down.
Slowly whisk 1/3 cup black coffee into the pastry cream, until well blended. Keep in the fridge until needed.
On a floured surface, use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll out the shortcrust pastry until it’s about 1/4-inch thick.
Cut the pastry dough into equal-sized circles. Gently lay the dough into the tart pans, pressing firmly against the bottom and sides. With a knife trim the excess pastry. Use a fork to prick the shell all over.
Bake in preheated oven at 355°F for about 15 minutes. Remove the tart shells from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes. Carefully remove from pans and let cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, in a small bowl crumble the ladyfingers by breaking them with your hands.
Pour 2/3 cup sweetened coffee and 2 tbsp Rum over the crumbled ladyfingers.
Put 2 teaspoons of ladyfingers in each tart shell.
Fill the tart shells with the coffee pastry cream and decorate each tartlet with a coffee bean, if desired. Store them in the fridge until serving time.